Rekonstruktion von Barockspiegeln des Historischen Grünen Gewölbes im Dresdener Schloss
Reconstruction of baroque mirrors of the historical Green Vault in the Dresden royal palace
On the 1st Sept. 2006 the Federal Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel inaugurated the reconstructed Historical Green Vault, the treasury museum of the Saxon electors and kings. Since its destruction on 13th Feb. 1945 2 generations were working scientific-artistically to set the course for its reconstruction. The idea of a baroque mirror chamber has firstly been implemented on a sequence of 8 rooms in the Green Vault. The original mirrors, which were covered with Sn amalgam, had a considerably lower reflectivity than modern day Ag mirrors. From originally 423 m2 mirror surface, only 60 m2 could be reused. For the restoration and reconstruction of the original mirrors extensive analytic investigations became necessary,which the state-owned company Sachsisches Immobillien- und Baumanagement (SIB) commissioned the Fraunhofer Institute for Electron Beam and Plasma Technol. (FEB). A layer system consisting of Sn-bronze-Ti and protective lacquers represent an adequate replacement for the original amalgam mirrors.